By age 60 we are growing into our wisdom years. We know ourselves better than ever before and are gaining a sense of our purpose in our society and the world. Some psychologists call this coming into our own–finding our God-given talents and using them. After 60, women support causes, use their talents for the good of all, and offer their services in ways that they would not have done during their earlier years. Physically, at this we begin to notice differences in the way we look and feel. These differences generally will cause us to make a shift in the way we understand our appearance and how we use our energy. But, and this is a big but, the changes don’t mean that we should let ourselves look less than our very best, must conform to the old stereotypes of what it means to be in ones sixties, and/or forgo activities. It simply means that we likely will need to make some adjustments and decisions about ourselves and how we look.
Here are six suggestions that will make you feel good about yourself, both inside and out as you master your sixties.
- Make sure you are heeding the things I suggested in my blog 5 Over 50. These good ideas don’t end at 60.
- Pamper yourself, even more than you did in your fifties! Get those mani/pedis. Join a spa. Schedule massages and facials. Keep up the exercise. If these haven’t been part of your self-care routine up to now, start! Self care makes you look and feel great. And that, in itself, will help you adjust to your changing body and boost your level of energy–a win-win on all accounts.
- Keep your makeup current. As with hair, decades old makeup looks set us back into history faster than a New York minute. This makes us look older than we actually are. Once a year I indulge by getting one of those luscious makeovers at the Chanel counter. If I’m going to spend the money on makeup anyway, why not let an expert show me how? To boot, if you develop a relationship with cosmetic reps, they’ll be more than happy to make you up for a special night out.
- Put your best look forward by honestly analyzing what looks good on you at this time of your life and what doesn’t. You might decide that the skinny, low-cut sundress that used to get you through the summer no longer creates your best look; but maybe you can still wear the strappy little sandals. Not the sandals? How about a midi wrap skirt and sleeved tee with a statement necklace and earrings? This is no time to get shy about putting yourself out there and looking great while you’re at it, like you’ve done in the past. It’s just that we need to be aware of how we look as we age and what we should wear. Everyone has good features. If you haven’t already figured out what yours are, do it; and play them up. As the old song says, “accentuate the positive, eliminate . . .”
- Experiment! Sixty is the decade when we shift gears, and shifting gears can be trying. However, this age is exciting because we can become the woman we couldn’t be back when we were putting energies into rising a family, climbing the corporate ladder and/or developing relationships. Let your heart be your guide, and put on the new you! There are oh so many options out there and so few rules about how sixtysomethings should look.
- Pay attention to your posture. This is age when you must consciously keep that back straight and that head up. Nothing ages a woman more than giving in to gravity. If you look like the starch has gone, it doesn’t matter what you wear because you’ll look less than your best. Plus, having good posture good for your overall health, and nothing makes you look better than looking like you feel great.
These are just a few things that I’ve come to understand about myself since my 60th birthday. There’s a lot more that can be added to this list. So let me hear what is working for you and your friends.